Thursday, November 18, 2010

Creativity At It's Finest


As mentioned in other blogs, a lot of us have different opinions or conclusions as to how stories or certain parts of stories should be interpreted. For example, in class we discussed Megillat Esther on page 96 and the meanings behind it. Haman’s heart is drawn outside of his body and the next couple of frames show the chambers of the heart. At the end of the chamber there seems to be a person. As mentioned in class, could this be Haman? Professor Levine even made the reference that it almost looked like the chamber was a water slide and he was sliding down it. Because at the end we see him in a pool of what looks to be like blood or filth. With my first glance at this page, I was completely clueless as to what was going on, so I skipped over it. However, in class we focused on this scene and many people had different opinions of what it was supposed to mean. Maybe because Haman was such a greedy person, it was showing that on the inside his heart was filled with filth? Regardless of what is supposed to be interpreted through this scene, I think it’s pretty brilliant how imaginative people in our class are. Professor Levine’s comment about the water slide particularly interested me because I would have never looked at it in this way.

I think how the class was set up was really important to understanding and interpreting different perspectives of graphic novels. I enjoyed hearing other people’s thoughts as well as considering my own. I would suggest having an open discussion like this for previous classes dealing with graphic novels and comic books.

On a side note, for anyone using Twitter, I found JT Waldman’s twitter page if you’re interested (The picture I have posted above is actually his profile picture on Twitter. I was wondering, could this be as self-portrait?). It’s kind of cool to see a different side of him, as he posts pictures, articles, and even lets his fans know where he will be guest speaking next. I’ve included his Twitter handle below.
JT Waldman: @peartree4

2 comments:

  1. *I meant to say in upcoming classes, not previous classes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am also following Waldman on Twitter. I really enjoy the discussion in class and on the blogs. The different interpretations of the books make the reading more enjoyable and make me change my original interpretation at times.

    ReplyDelete