Thursday, October 28, 2010

Miriam Libicki: Ok, I'll give her another chance

In my last post, I expressed my disinterest in Jobnik! However, after our class discussion, I have a new appreciate for the novel. Although I did not necessarily enjoy the novel, I now understand it better because of the discussion we had in class. I think it really helps when we cover background information about the books, but I think I would have liked to absorbed the background about Israel before I read Jobnik!, so I wasn’t so lost.

Because Jobnik! was the only book I haven’t really enjoyed in this class, I decided to do some outside searching to try and convince myself otherwise. Although I can still say that I did not enjoy Jobnik! I am excited to say that it’s not Miriam Libicki that I do not enjoy, it is just this particular work. At first I was taken back by not enjoying the book, but I think that’s healthy when reading any style of writing. You’re not supposed to like everything, and that’s ok. After reading a bit on her blog, as well as a few article reviews, I have decided that I am going to go beyond the class syllabus by reading other works created by Libicki.

Below, I have provided a link to Libicki’s blog as well as an article that featured a question and answer segment for Libicki. As discussed in class, Libicki is quite interested in nude drawings. One of the questions asks her what advice she would give for any aspiring cartoonist and her answer was to do a lot of live figure drawing. Although live figure drawing does not necessarily have to be nude, it reminded me of our discussion in class. Regardless if the drawing will be nude, I think Libicki was right to encourage artists to use live figures to really grasp an idea of how a cartoon should be illustrated.

Article: http://tinyurl.com/2ezypt7
Libicki’s blog: http://www.realgonegirl.com/about.html

1 comment:

  1. That is interesting, I did not like the style of how the Jobnik was drawn. One thing that I thought Libicki did very well was animate the characters the drawings, and this could be because of her emphasis on drawing live figures.

    ReplyDelete